Monday, March 24, 2008

Running Blind

Who else, in their right mind, would set off for a 10 mile run in a blinding snowstorm?

Sure, it was snowly lightly when I started, nothing too bad, but snowing all the same. I turned the corner just up from the golf course and was hit full force by the wind blowing straight down from the Arctic. I momentarily thought about heading back to my in-laws for a steaming cup of tea, but then I reasoned, 'hey, once I turn around, the wind will be at my back and it won't be so bad.'

Right.

Turns out Sod was running with me yesterday. You all know Sod, he and his cousin Murphy have that famous law about everything going wrong. Well, Sod is an aspiring half marathon runner as it turns out. He laughed the whole way as I stuggled to understand how on earth it was possible to run into the wind in one direction and then still be running into the wind when I turned in ran in the opposite.

I had had enough of Sod by about 8.5 miles so I decided to race him back to my in-laws. I managed to sprint ahead of him and lose him in the whiteout about 1/2 a block from the house. I was awarded for my efforts with a steaming cup of tea that dethawed my toes and revived my spirits.

Poor old Sod. No tea for him. He stayed outside to play the wind.

6 comments:

ckweirath said...

Sometimes running in a blizzard can be fun....just not for 10 miles! You are insane.

Kitty said...

Guess the trip to England was uneventful??!

Diane said...

Just had a lovely walk here. Birds singing, squirrels running, streams bubbling by. Not a bit of wind. Of course, we weren't running. Maybe that's the secret...

Sue said...

Sounds delightful...I'd love to run in the snow...right now I can't run and it never snowed...

Dig said...

My eyes are starting to feel better now after all the stinging sensations have subsided. Oh, and who knew, you could get a snowburn-tan!

kissmekaty said...

Need I remind you of the days in Idaho, when you could start out the day with the heat on, open the doors, close the doors from the rain, turn on the AC, light the candle from the lighting strike that took out the power box, turn the heat back on,,,,,And you did not realize that the wind and snow would be blowing coming and going?!?!? xoxoxo