Friday, January 22, 2010

Stinky Breath And All


There there are. My three little fuzzy friends.

I've been neglecting them this week and I'm feeling a little bad about that. Today, I took some time to hang out with them in the prison while I cleaned up the crap. A solid chunk of quiet time to just scratch everyone really well behind each and every ear.

As I was getting ready to leave the pen, they took up these poses and I felt even more guilty. Look at those faces. Sure, Anouk is casting her gaze way out west, towards the snow covered Sancy (where I spent yesterday avoiding them by skiing with the kids) but they actually look hang dog.

Seriously, Typhon looks like he's either about to start crying or singing and Abaka isn't blitzing around trying to eat Anouk's legs. She's there trying to get that floppy ear to stand up all by itself.

I love these dogs. As much as they drive us bat crazy when they escape or the neighbour calls at 1am to complain about Typhon's drunken bar behavior, I love these dogs. They demand my time, my energy, and my patience. Even when I'm thinking horrible thoughts about how much of a pain in the ass it is to have to go outside and deal with them during horrific weather or late at night when I've forgotten them earlier, they do something that always amazes me...they get excited to see me.

Pets do this. They remind you that there are creatures in this world who need you and love you no matter what a shit you might be in real life. Multiply that by three and you'll understand why I need to hang out in the pen more often. I think I've missed them this week too.

2 comments:

RHB said...

I bet the people with the chickens and geese are really glad that you have a pen now. :)

I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said, "God, help me to be the person that my dog thinks I am." :)

Diane said...

I am going to try and remember that as I deal with the letter from animal control that reprimanded us for have a DOG AT LARGE. Like we want her to be on the loose.