Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Good Sign or Bad Omen

It's our wedding anniversary this weekend. Pretty amazing we haven't killed each other or filed for divorce in 6 years!

We've decided to celebrate by leaving our children with friends and then driving as fast and as far away as we can before THE BIG MATCH starts on Saturday night. You remember, England vs France in the Rugby World Cup semi-final, right? We're ever so romantic.

I will admit to being slightly worried about heading into strange French territory when such an event is looming, but as parents of small children, we need to take the chance to run away when and if it ever presents itself. Rugby war or no rugby war.

I made some calls this afternoon to track down a room in a picturesque village even more remote that our own. Hubster had seen a nice hotel online so I called to see if they had availability. Just so happens the hotel in question is closing tomorrow for their "vacances annuelles." They recommended I call the chateau hotel next door.

A very kind voice answered my call there. A kind voice with an accent I recognized. Imagine my joy and happiness when I was then able to ask the man,

"Vous parlez Anglais?"

"You had to ask me in French, didn't you?" he replied...in English.

Yes, it seems I've found us a safe house, or rather a safe chateau, for Saturday night. A chateau with a bar and England rugby fans.

God Save our Gracious Queen!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Have an awesome time with your peeps!