WARNING: This post is going to be about Whoopsie. If you are one of those readers who find that blogs, like sitcoms, go bad when they try to introduce a baby into the story line, this is your chance to go back and read about Typhon singing or Miss Snootie, my best friend at the Marie. If not, bear with me. I've got a lot going on in my head today...
At my first visit to see the doctor about Whoopsie, he mentioned to me that since I was going to be 38 during this pregnancy, he wanted me to consider having an amniocentesis to determine if there are any chromosomal issues with the baby, most specifically Down's Syndrome. Me being me, leery of tests and not so good with facing stressful situations, I told him I'd think about it and go from there.
The first scan went well and the doctor didn't see anything that looked worrying to him. I was relieved to hear this and hoped that the idea of the amnio would quietly go away. At that same appointment, I agreed to go ahead and have the blood test for Down's in hopes that this would alleviate all my worries.
Saturday, I had a message from the doctor that he wasn't happy with the results of the blood test and there is an elevated risk of Whoopsie having Down's Syndrome. That being the case, he has strongly recommended that I have an amniocentesis as soon as possible so we can find out what the heck is going on in there.
I'm ok with that. What I'm scared and worried about is that there is a risk of miscarriage from the amnio and since I've unfortunately had 3 of those before, I really don't want to have another one. And of course, the other thing, what do we do if Whoopsie does have Down's?
I've had some very good support from Hubster, Miss Tennessee 1975 and The Beautiful Version of Julia Child and thanks to their thoughts and comments, I've decided that having the test is the best option. I know that I can not handle worrying about Whoopsie for the next 5 months, wondering what really is going on. I wouldn't know how to help Mini-Husband and The Princess understand why Mommy was acting like a weeping basket case all winter.
I'm heading to the clinic dark and early tomorrow morning with Hubster in tow. The whole thing shouldn't take too long and then I've been ordered on bed-rest for the day. Hopefully, if all goes as it should, we will have the results in about 2 weeks time.
So, there you have it.
Now that I've actually written all that out, I'm going to go play with the muddy dogs and try not to worry. I have to trust that what will be, will be. Hubster and I have been blessed already so many times over. We need to be thankful for that.